Are you aware of the most dangerous toxins to your pet?  Listed here are the top pet poisons, as well as how to seek help if your pet has consumed one of these substances.

Eight Most Common Toxins

Prescription Medicine

When humans are sick they tend to be forgetful and leave pills out, or accidentally drop them.  Pain killers, anti-depressants, blood pressure pills, and heart medications are among the most common poisons for dogs and cats.

Flea and Tick Products

Even though these products are made with animals in mind, too much of a good thing can be harmful.  If a dog or cat ingests these products or if the wrong dosage is used, disaster can strike.  Additionally, always make sure that you are using the right product for your animal, as canine flea control products cannot be used on cats.

Over-the-Counter Medications

Certain medications and herbal remedies can be used on dogs and cats without problem.  However, other products can cause serious issues.  Always make sure to double check with your veterinarian whether a product is safe to use, as well as the correct dosage.

Pet Medications

Pet pharmaceutical companies frequently produce medications with additional flavor in order to make medication administration easier.  However, sometimes these methods work too well.  For instance, heartworm preventative is a common pet medication that causes overdose, because some animals will go to great lengths to eat these tasty pills.

Household Products

Two of the most common household poisons for animals are bleach and antifreeze.  Beware that animals explore the world around them via their mouths, and even a small amount of household products can be deadly.  Keep cleaning supplies off the floor, and preferably in a cabinet with child-proof locks.

Human Foods

Chocolate, xylitol, alcohol, grapes, raisins, garlic, and onion are toxic to dogs and cats, among other items.  Always beware when feeding your dog or cat human foods which ingredients are safe and which are toxic.   

Plants

Certain indoor and outdoor plants can be poisonous to pets.  These include azaleas, lilies, daffodils, oleander, crocus, tulips, and sago palms.  Keep all plants out of reach of your pet, particularly off of the floor.

Lawn Products

Fertilizers, grass seed, and pesticides all pose a risk to dogs and cats.  Keep these items in sealed containers, and keep your pets off the lawn whenever planting, fertilizing, or using pest control products.

What to Do if your Pet has Ingested Poison

Dogs or cats that have ingested a poisonous substance are likely to experience symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, lethargy, loss of appetite, and weakness.  If you suspect your pet has been poisoned, call your veterinarian or the Pet Poison Helpline immediately, at 855-764-7661.  Be prepared to pay a $59 USD fee, as well as give information regarding your pet’s age, sex, breed, weight, and the type and amount of poison ingested.  The helpline operator will be able to tell you the next steps to take, such as inducing vomiting or seeking immediate medical attention.